Saturday, June 25, 2011

Otakon cosplay construction

I've been meaning to make this post for a while now. My sisters and I are going to Otakon 2011. We went last year also. Otakon is the biggest anime convention on the east coast. For those who don't know what happens at an anime convention there are panels with anime creators and voice actors as well as a huge gaming and vendor room. There are also Japanese bands and a giant rave. It usually falls on a weekend (fri-sun) in summer this year its from July 28-31st. During These days many people Cosplay. Costume play or "cosplay" for short is when people dress up as a certain character. Last year i was an original character. But this year i will attempt to become Chun-li of street fighter and Katara of Avatar the last airbender.



Chun-Li

I think this cosplay will be quite hard. I am not good at sewing and i have my mother to help me.(she is a awesome seamstress) She made my Junior prom dress which was the best dress there im my opinion. Instead of doing the generic blue chun-li I've decided to do the pink cosplay.(there are two pinks. one light the other darker).

I chose chun-li for the simple fact i have big thighs lol. I think the hardest part for me will either be the sleeves or the trim and decals. But as i said before i have my mom to help me thank goodness! The costume will be made out of satin (why the hell I chose satin for summer I'll never know), the shoes will be canvas high sneaker boots, and the spiked wrist bands will be made from craft foam. As for the decals I read up on them and people say to use heat-n-bond. Wish me luck!



Katara

Last year at otakon I couldn't decide what to cosplay for my second day. Seba told me to do katara. I should had listened....Katara is probably the best cosplay for me. Although Avatar is not a anime you see a lot of people cosplay it at anime conventions. Katara is brown skin(you don't see many brown characters) since a lot of women of lighter color use makeup to become her shade I think I am one step ahead. Our skin tones are almost identical not too light not too dark. Seba always said I would be a perfect katara. Katara Has a different look for each book (season). I will be doing book 3 Katara.


 
Noted I am not as skinny as katara I think I can do her justice. I Think the biggest Challenge for katara will be the hair which is already WIP (work in progress.) also the trim once again. This costume will be made in cotton, the necklace out of resin, and the armor from craft foam. Keep a look out for more Otakon updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment