Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tori's 50th birthday party

Last night i went to my mom's former co-worker's birthday party. It was a Egyptian themed party where all the women were supposed to be Egyptians and the men were to be in Greek/roman attire. And if anyone knows me they know I'm a reincarnated Egyptian princess lol. So who am I to turn down a chance to dress in my royal tunic? You know i couldn't let down my loyal subjects ha ha.



My mom told me about the party in late august i believe, but I completely forgot about it. She reminded me 2 days before the party and i didn't even have a costume. On top of that i had just spent all my money and couldn't buy one. So we decided to look online but all the costumes were too high in my opinion and none of them really called to me. Most were either too Grecian and the other half too slutty. which pissed me off. first of all when most people think Egyptian they think Cleopatra I think Isis,ma'at or Nefertiti. I'm big on ancient history so in my opinion Cleopatra wasn't even of the black Egyptian race. Granted she was the queen of Egypt but her family were Greeks who ruled for only 300 years. So when i see her costume i see more Greek originated clothing not ancient Egyptian...maybe it's just me.

Any who we had the hardest time finding a costume. We couldn't buy one offline because we didn't have time for it to be shipped. we didn't have time to sew one either. We went to walmart and i found a Cleopatra costume but only in plus size for my mom and a Caesar costume for her friend Alex. we went to party city and the Halloween adventure store and all sold the same costume but $10-30 more. At this time i was thinking "everyone is going to have this costume". I couldn't find one in my size so i had made up my mind i wasn't going.So my mom suggested a sheet....At first i was skeptic about it but it actually turned out pretty good. I watched a few instructional videos on youtube about how to make a toga out of a bedsheets and came up with my own idea. My mom ended up not fitting the costume she brought so we made her a toga too. luckily for her she had the accessories from her costume so she had a head piece and collar. I made her some arm bands. As for mine i made my own head piece and i got a gold rope to tie around my toga. I did our make up too. my mom has the perfect eyes for the kohl liner my eyelids are too almond shaped lol. we looked good though even if i do say so myself.

right before we got to the banquet hall i became very nervous. Maybe because it wasn't a private party other people were there too.Or maybe i thought no one else would dress up. we went inside and to my relief almost all the females were dressed up. but all the girls my age were all in skimpy costumes...i was so mad. belly dancers,and short Greek dresses is a no no. i found that disrespectful to my ancestors lol. the older women were very well dressed. but boy oh boy the people who weren't part of our party were hilarious! i saw this pencil chick in a tight mini dress dancing and all i thought was olive oil..then i saw her outside and much to my surprise it was a old lady about 80. either that or a crack head. The old men were sharp with their caps,suits,and snazzy hats,and they could get down. I don't know where these older people got all that energy from i was tired from two stepping while they were cha chaing and bopping.

Moving on to the food. I have never seen so much chicken in my life...seriously it was about 5 trays of fried chicken! only 3 sides. Rice and beans,sea food salad and collard greens. i had like one bite of each. i don't mess with everyone's food. but it was OK i guess. i got a soda and that pissed me off. i asked for a coke and she gave me ginger ale....like that sounds alike.

OK this entry is getting long so lets wrap it up.
The party itself was pretty good. i hope to do this again.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.9

No comments:

Post a Comment